Friday, December 23, 2011

My Black Belt Test!

I had my black belt test on November 19th and 20th. The test is two days, on a Saturday and Sunday.

First, my teachers tested me on my curriculum (all my kicks and punches from white belt to the belt before black belt).


At that time while I was working my butt off to earn my black belt, take a look at what my mischevious little brother was doing, decorating his body, including his tongue and shoe with bright red stamps.



Then I got tested on all of my curriculum's self defense combinations (my curriculum was to do all of the self defense combinations I learned so far). Self defense combinations are meant to teach you how to defend yourself if someone were to attack you. In all, all of the self defense combinations that I had to memorize add up to a total of nineteen combinations.

Next, I had board breaking, which is breaking twelve thick wooden boards with kicks and punches. I had a difficult time with one of the kicks, but I eventually broke the board.



Thereafter was sparring. Sparring is fighting with, I have to admit, not the most comfortable gear on with other people. Since at this particular black belt test there was only one person testing, ten people signed up to spar, and after that I was exhausted, though I was not finished yet.



After, there was grappling. Grappling is pretty much wrestling, but not that hard. Here I had to grapple fourteen different people. If the person signing up to spar and grapple with someone during their black belt test is not yet a black belt, when it is their turn to have their black belt test, it is a black belt's responsibility to support them and spar and grapple with them.



The last thing to do that day was to say an inspirational speech about a person or people who motivate(s) you.

The next day on Sunday was to do a five mile run from my karate studio to the closest high school, do five laps around their track, twelve sprints (races) around it, and to run back. My feet grew very tired and sore for days after, but it was worth it because I earned my well-deserved black belt.





Have you ever earned a black belt? 


If so, what were the steps you had to take to earn it?


Do you do karate, and are you on a goal to earn your black belt?


If you do not do karate, what, from the pictures, looked like the most interesting thing to do? If so, why?

8 comments:

  1. Dear Adia,

    Congratulations on earning your black belt! Wow! I know it has been a very long journey for you, and it has taken a lot of dedication and hard work! I am very proud of you!

    And speaking of being proud, I was thrilled when I looked in the sidebar of the class blog and saw a new post here at Adia's Babble Blog! You worked so hard to earn this blog and are such a great writer, I'm very pleased to see that you are coming back to it. I think Grace is working on a new post too! I love it!

    I have a few questions about your black belt.

    ∆~ What do you think about to prepare yourself to break the boards?

    ∆~ How many other students were earning their black belt?

    ∆~ How long have you been learning karate?

    Your former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Adia,
    Congratulations on getting your black belt! It is a huge accomplishment and we are all very proud of you. I have never done Karate but I think for me the most interesting part of the test would be the run since I enjoy jogging.

    What are some of your next goals now that you have your black belt?

    Well done,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mrs. Yollis,

    Thank you for congratulating me and leaving a comment!

    I apologize, I wasn't able to leave comments and write posts during the summer and a few months after that. I was busy with preparing for the black belt test and many other activities, but to make up for it, I have two or three more posts ready after this one, even a babble of the month, in which that post I will have to apologize in.

    Everyone who is doing the black belt test receives a binder that you have to complete and fill in within a certain period of time, sometimes a month and sometimes a month and a half. You have to explain (in your writing) how to exactly do kicks and punches, and fill in every single detail. It also says the board breaking combinations (4) that you have to memorize for the belt test and break with the board. What I think about when I prepare myself for the boards is not to think about the thickness of it because they are pretty thick.

    Actually, one other student was testing for his black belt with me, but he didn't make it. By the second hour of the test, he gave up and our teachers do not like to see that. He might test next black belt test, although I don't know if he will or not because I haven't seen him at karate since then.

    I have been doing karate since I was 4, for about 5 years.

    @Mrs. Victoria,

    Thank you for congratulating me!

    One of my goals now that I have my black belt is to memorize the 10 kickboxing combinations, 5 grappling combinations, and 2 self defense combinations that I need to memorize for my second degree black belt which I will be tested for in about 2 or 3 years. Another one of my goals is that whenever obstacles come my way, to never quit karate because I think it is a wonderful thing, wonderful exercise and you learn so much discipline and respect. In addition to that, I have made so so so many friends along the way, even some that we still keep in touch with and have quit karate now regret that they ever did that. Those are my goals but more are sure to come along the way.

    Thank you for your comments and kind thoughts and words!

    Warmly,
    Adia♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Adia,

    Good on your for earning your black belt! That is quite an achievement for a fourth grade student.

    You worked really hard and achieved your goal - what a role model you are to other children!

    I have never tried karate myself although it is popular with some of my students. In fact, my former student, BB, and her mum, AA, used to take karate lessons. I don't know if they still do it. I will have to ask them.

    You little brother is SO cheeky! I bet your mum was not happy to see what he was doing. Although I'm sure you all got a laugh out of it. Toddlers are lots of fun (and a lot of work!).

    How are you enjoying fourth grade? Are you studying anything interesting at school?

    Happy holidays,
    Mrs M☀rris
    Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Adia,

    Congratulations! It is an amazing accomplishment to earn a black belt!

    I was there to watch some parts of your test, it was awesome to watch how high you kicked, and how you were so in control of your kicks and punches. I was also there when your sneaky brother Stefan started coloring himself with stamps. He even did a little decorating on me, my arm was colored in red and I had to go to my soccer game right after that!

    I do not do karate, but my sister Hannah does and she is just two belts away from earning a black belt.

    Looking at the pictures, I find grappling the most interesting thing you did because it looks very challenging.

    Sincerely ,
    Leila♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Adia,

    Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment! You did an awesome job on a test that I know is extremely difficult, and I know you truly deserved your black belt!

    As you know, I do karate and I am a red belt, so I am only two belts away from earning a black belt. But I do know that it will take a lot of practice and training to meet the black belt standards. I know I will need your help along the way!

    I know for a fact that my favorite thing to do in karate is submission grappling. I like it most because I like the feeling of accomplishment when you win.

    Your friend,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Adia,

    A black belt is quite an achievement. I can see by the photos how high you can kick. Fitness is an important part of your training but is also important for a healthy life.

    Board breaking? I can remember a funny time when some students were trying to break a board by kicking it in their karate display. While they had done it easily in practise, they had trouble in our talent show. Afterwards, I asked if I could try by hitting it. It snapped in half quickly. They knew I didn't know karate but asked how I had managed.
    My answer, "Big guys can do that sort of thing." :)

    This is a very interesting post. I knew sparring was a part of the training but didn't realise grappling was.

    Now you're a black belt, I hope you can help little children learn the skills to keep the fit in 2012.

    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mrs. Morris,

    Thank you for congratulating me!

    I never knew that BB and AA used to take karate lessons as well. That is good to know! Karate is popular at our school too, although not that much in the lower grades. Many students at our school are students at my karate place because the karate school is very close.

    My little brother is so cheeky! The only thing that my mom was concerned about is how long it will take to wash off. A few months ago my brother did the exact same thing with the stamps. It took 3 or 4 days to wash off! The next day we went to a party, and everyone invited took the time to inspect every detail of my brother's stamp masterpiece. That was hilarious. I have to agree, toddlers are a lot of fun, a lot of work, and at times extremely annoying. It is very interesting having a younger sibling.

    I am enjoying fourth grade a lot! I love how we have huge reports because I love writing and huge projects because I love creating. Before our winter break, we were studying "Explorers of the New World," and my class learned about famous explorers of the New World.

    @Leila

    Thank you for leaving a comment!

    I partly saw when Stefan did decorating on you. Your arm was pretty hilarious. In your point of view, isn't Stefan such a creative artist? ;) He is destined to become a janitor or artist. Monkey (Stefan) loves cleaning everything up. He even asked for a vacuum cleaner (of course the toy ones) for Christmas! As you have seen, at our house Stefan also draws with markers on the walls, the door to my room, and practically everything that he sees. Well at least he used to do that. Now he's a big boy.

    I'm sure one of the reasons that you find grappling the most interesting thing is that your sister, Hannah, is very very very very very etc. etc. etc. good at it. ;) It is also fun to submit people.

    @Hannah,

    Thank you for congratulating me!

    I know that you were sitting right next to Monkey during the test. How did you survive that? ;) You must have been stamped all over as well as Leila.

    I'm certainly not surprised that your favorite thing to do in karate is submission grappling. You're always choking out people with the rear naked choke. ;) You even got me on a rear naked choke once or twice.

    Trust me, Hannah, I will help you along the way as long as you are willing to come over to my house for 4 hours a day with extra practice at your house. That's what I had to do, so if you want to earn your black belt, you have to understandthat is only one thing that you have to do, but don't worry, you'll probably be testing with my mom for black belt. You're both the same belt and even though you're a few days ahead of her, you'll be sure to wait for her until she's a black belt candidate so you can test together, right?

    @Mr. Mannell,

    That is a very funny story you told and experienced at a talent show. That must have been quite embarrassing for those few students.

    Part of earning a black belt is to help and sometimes even teach younger belts and younger children. My younger cousins also take karate, and I love it when they always ask me questions. It makes me feel important. I like that feeling.

    Thanks everyone!

    Adia

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
Adia ;)